Tuesday 17 October 2017

Little steps

Being such a young age and in a unit was very scary. I would get very home sick and want to go home, there was a time I tried to make my mum ask if I could become a outpatient but the doctors wouldn't let me. I had several hard times there, times where I wanted to get better and other times where I didn't want to get better. At times when I saw my weight going up I would start to panic which would make me anxious about getting better. Still to this day I panic if I see I am putting on weight but I know how to deal with it a lot better. When you are recovering and your weight goes up quick it is scary and you think you are getting fat but I have learnt you're not. The doctors and nurses know how it works and they just want to get you up to a health weight and for you to maintain, but when you have anorexic thoughts in your head it is harder to believe. Now I can see it clearer what the doctors and nurses where doing when they were helping me put on weight. It does seem you put weight on quickly but it is only because you have starved your body for so long. I did find it hard to cope with at first, but I sat down with the dietitian and told her how I felt about my weight. She told me they wanted me at a healthy weight before they would put me on a meal plan to maintain my weight.

As I was getting better I would feel excited about meal times, as I was really hungry. When I was face to face with the food I panicked, but I managed to learn how to cope with it. My family would sometimes have to come in for a meal practice. So I would get used to eating with them as a family again.

















Above are a few photos of some pages from my diary that I kept when I was in the unit. As you can see I had my good days and I had my bad days. There would be days I was happy I put on weight so I could go home for the weekend and then there were time I wasn't so happy. In the unit if I did well with eating and put on a bit of weight or maintained the doctors would let me go home for the night then they would increase the stay if it went well. Also every time you maintained or put on weight you were allowed a to do some exercise for a certain amount of time. I have scribbled out my weight in the photo in my diary as I don't want someone who is in recovery or is suffering from a eating disorder to compare as I know that's something I would do a lot with people when I was ill.
Recovery isn't easy, you get your good and bad days. With the support of my family and all the staff in the unit I got through the bad days. It was hard in the unit especially when I was away from my family but it was for the best.

Everyday I would receive cards and letters through the post which helped me see there were people out there who cared about me and wanted me better. Receiving letters and cards from my family where the best part of my day as it would cheer me up and give me hope, my little sister would always send me pictures she drew or little letters which made me smile a lot. Looking back at them now they make me smile and cry happy tears, to see how far I have got and to see how supportive and caring my family were and still are. To read back over the letters my sister wrote are emotional as she was at such a young age writing them but would write such lovely and positive things to me.

Below is a photo of some of the cards, letters and pictures I would receive from family members and family friends.

Thank you for reading, feed back would be great. To keep up to date with my blog press the follow button😋

Contact: recoveryleadstopositivity@outlook.com


Gemma
x

No comments:

Post a Comment